inbanner5.jpg

What’s Watt? Watt Pottery

By Kathy Smail
In 1886, W.J. Watt founded the Brilliant Stoneware Company of Rose Farm, Ohio, which specialized in the creation of salt glazed pottery, crocks, jars and jugs of various sizes. Watt sold this company in 1897 but continued working for his family’s business, Ransbottom Brothers Pottery, until 1921 when he bought the Globe Stoneware of Crooksville, Ohio, and renamed it Watt Pottery Company. Their signature blue acorn stamp appeared on various stoneware bowls of different sizes.

In 1935, newer kitchen appliances flourished and Watt featured off white and tan products rimmed with a blue line on the perimeter in both stoneware and ovenware. These cream colored beauties that are so collectible today were made from a mixture of 15% feldspar and whiteners that did not discolor after firing and retained their coloration due to a dual glazing process. Graduated simple bowls became the company’s main product as they discontinued the stoneware production. This simple style continued until 1950 when the Pansy pattern debuted.

In 1952, Red Apple, then in 1955, Rooster, patterns adorned the kitchens across America. Watt’s million dollar business devised a clever marketing and distribution system primarily east of the Mississippi. Large grocery chains, hardware stores and discount stores displayed the product line in monthly collectors’ specials and other promotional events that offered affordability to the average homemaker. The annual new pattern added the desirability to the consumer who wanted to keep up with the latest style and motif. Watt introduced a new pattern every year until 1965, when a massive fire destroyed the manufacturing facility and caused the disbanding of the company.  

wattpottery1