inbanner5.jpg

What's in a Name? - Elmwood Station #1178, Livonia, Michigan

What's in a Name? –Elmwood Station #1179  Livonia, Michigan

Elmwood Station was located at the intersection of what is currently Middlebelt Road (formerly Elm) and the railroad tracks (at the “Half Mile Line,” north of Plymouth and south of Schoolcraft Roads).  It was one of three stops of the Howell and Detroit Railroad in Livonia.  This station provided a base around which a combination store/post office (est. 1858) and cheese factory were located.  In 1869 the Elm School was built 40 rods south of the Howell and Detroit Railroad tracks.