inbanner.jpg

What’s in a Name? – Rose Terrace #1438, Grosse Pointe, Michigan

The name Rose Terrace was selected for its historical significance. The first Rose Terrace was a red sandstone mansion designed by Albert Kahn in 1912 for Horace F. Dodge on Jefferson Avenue in Grosse Pointe. In 1930, Ann Dodge, the widow of Horace Dodge and one of the world’s richest women, commissioned Horace Trumbauer to design a new mansion. The second Rose Terrace was built on an 8.8 acre site of prime Grosse Pointe property overlooking Lake St. Clair.


The name Rose Terrace came from a collection of roses that was a favorite of Mrs. Dodge. Rose Terrace emerged as an enlarged version of Miramar, Louis XVI style mansion designed for the Widener family in Newport, Rhode Island in 1913.